Local Japan Phone Numbers
Local 81(50) National - $7.95 and 800/120 Toll free - $29.95
- Our Japan numbers can be registered to anyone on earth - no local address restrictions
- Forward the Japan FlyNumber (i.e. virtual phone number) to any regular phone number in the world for a low rate
- At the moment it's National 81-50 and Toll free numbers that are available for purchase
- You can use our cloud PBX if you need an IVR or call menu among other features
- Quality for Japan has improved over the years and you should expect low latency, especially when using direct VoIP
- Text messaging is currently not supported with Japan
- In Japan the telecom industry is run by NTT, the 4th largest telecom company in the world (based on revenue)
- Special Registration:
- National 81-50 numbers can be registered for personal or business use
- Toll free 800/120 numbers can only be registered to a business
- Photo Identification / Company certificate (*both if its for a company)
- Proof of address matching the name on the above document. For example a mobile phone bill or perhaps an electricity invoice.
- The proof of address shouldn’t be older than 6 months
Every Japan Phone Number Comes with Three Core Options
- 1. Route your Japan FlyNumber to any standard phone number
- This is a fundamental FlyNumber feature that can be updated "on the fly" (pun intended) via your panel
- There's no need for a PBX or phone system with this option
- Whenever our system has to route calls to a standard phone number, a minimal per minute rate applies
- 2. Pair the FlyNumber with our cloud-based PBX
- This is an optional feature. You can always revert to one of the other core options (1. Standard Phone or 3. Voip/SIP)
- The cost is $14.95 a month, in addition to the price of the Japan phone number (displayed at the top of the page)
- If you route to a standard phone number and/or make outgoing calls, a per minute rate is applicable
- Features include IVR/Voice Menu, Call Recording, On-Hold/Queue, Time-based routing, SIP Accounts, Voicemail, and more
- The PBX significantly enhances the core features (1. and 3.)
- You can use the PBX to make outgoing calls with your virtual phone number
- 3. Directly link the Japan virtual phone number to VoIP
- This is a fundamental FlyNumber feature - link the Japan phone number to any SIP address (URI/host)
- No PBX involved | Instantly update settings | Detailed logs (including failed attempts)
- Using the SIP protocol (VoIP) may be the most efficient way to handle calls, as it involves the least number of "hops"
- Your Japan FlyNumber is compatible with 3CX, Asterisk, FreePBX, FreeSwitch, and other VoIP solutions
- There are no extra charges for receiving calls this way - Unlimited incoming minutes
- Link your Japan DID phone number to one of our "easy setup" voip providers
- Each FlyNumber includes 2 incoming channels (with the option to purchase more in the near future)
Forum topics on Japan
Recent Blog Posts
Technical info on Japanese phone numbers
In Japan, phone numbers consist of 10 digits and are structured into three groups: the area code, the city code, and the subscriber number. The area code is a 2 or 3 digit number that identifies the region of the country, while the city code is a 1 or 2 digit number that specifies the city or district within that region. The subscriber number is a 4 or 5 digit number assigned to each individual phone line.
To call a phone number in Japan from overseas, you must first dial the country code, which is +81, followed by the area code and the subscriber number. Some mobile phone numbers in Japan may begin with the prefix "080" or "090," which indicate the type of mobile service provider.
The government agency in charge of phone numbers in Japan is the Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications (MIC). They oversee the allocation and management of phone numbers and other communication-related resources in the country. There were major changes to the way the country handles VoIP phone numbers in late 2022/early 2023.
- Wasn't the internet supposed to make phone calls more affordable?
- FlyNumber works great if you just launched a start-up and you're on a shoestring budget
- Is your business already off the ground but you'd rather not spend hundreds of dollars a month on phone service?
- We come from a "mom and pop" type background, rooted in the international diversity that is NYC. We understand business.
- Buy multiple international local phone numbers and manage them all from your FlyNumber account
Family and friends
- Stay in touch with family and friends by giving them a phone number "local to them"
- For example you have friends or family in the U.S. but now live elsewhere, you can give them a US FlyNumber that forwards directly to your smartphone
- Great for expats that want to stay in touch with friends and family from their hometown
- Give family members who aren't tech-savvy an easy way to reach you no matter where you are
- Grandma or Grandpa would love a simple local phone number they can dial that connects them to their loved ones
Why choose FlyNumber?
- You "own" the Japan phone number, you can port out if necessary
- No obligations | Cancel anytime | Never any hidden fee's | No contracts
- You're billed based on the phone number, not users or agents
- Detailed call logs that you can export to CSV, we don't retain the logs past a certain point
- Logs include multiple responses - Ok (connected), declined, timeout, internal server error, request terminated and more
- Set a credit card/Paypal for recurring billing or add funds manually to your prepaid balance
- Easily add multiple phone numbers to your account
- Starting at $2.95 a month for U.S numbers as well as Canada, the U.K. and others
Sign Up Now
Use us if you need multiple local numbers: All the countries we cover
* If you use an app (ie VoIP), it's unlimited incoming using this method.