Local South Africa Phone Numbers
Cape Town, Johannesburg and Durban among others - $2.95 per month*
- We cover about 17 different local South African prefixes
- Unlimited incoming when you answer calls with VoIP
- The South African number can be used as your outgoing caller-ID
- South African numbers are of good quality | Dependent on your internet connection and/or device
- Many "call forward" options -iOS, Android or a VoIP desk phone/SIP client among others
- If you run a business in SA use our phone system to manage the calls
- Telkom SA is the major telecom company in the country, they also operate in 38 other African countries
- At the moment our SA numbers do not support SMS
Use VoIP with a South Africa virtual phone number among other options
- You can use any combination of software and/or devices with your local South Africa phone number
- Core FlyNumber feature and can be updated via your panel on the "fly" (pun intended)
- No PBX or phone system involved when using this option
- Anytime our system needs to send calls to a regular phone number, there is a low per min rate
- This is optional. You can always go back to one of the other core options other (1. Regular Phone or 3. Voip/SIP)
- It's $14.95 a month + the price of the South Africa phone number (shown top of page)
- If you forward to a reg. phone number and/or make outgoing calls - a per min rate applies
- IVR/Voice Menu | Record Calls | On-Hold/Queue | Time-based routing | SIP Accounts | Voicemail and more
- Within the PBX, core features (1. and 3.) are expanded to a great degree
- Use the PBX to make outgoing calls with your virtual phone number
- More info on our cloud phone system
- Core FlyNumber feature - set the South Africa phone number to any SIP address (URI/host)
- PBX not involved | Update settings instantly | Detailed logs (including failed attempts)
- Using the SIP protocal (VoIP) might be the most effecnent way of answering calls, it would involve the fewset amount of "hops"
- Your South Africa FlyNumber can be used with 3CX | Asterisk | FreePBX | FreeSwitch among other VoIP solution
- There are no additional charges when receiving calls this way - Unlimited incoming minutes
- Every FlyNumber comes with 2 incoming channels (with the ability to purchase more soon)
1. Forward the South Africa FlyNumber to any regular phone number
2. Use the FlyNumber with our hosted pbx-phone system
3. Set the South Africa virtual phone number directly to VoIP
Buy a South Africa virtual phone number in 3 easy steps
The history behind South African phone numbers
The history of South African phone numbers dates back to the late 1800s when the first telegraph line was laid between Cape Town and Simonstown. In the early 1900s, the first telephone lines were installed in the country, and by 1910, there were around 50,000 telephones in South Africa.
Initially, telephone numbers in South Africa were assigned based on the geographic location of the subscriber, with numbers starting with a two-digit area code followed by a six-digit subscriber number. For example, Johannesburg was assigned the area code "01," Cape Town "02," and Durban "03."
In the 1960s, the South African Post Office (SAPO) took over the administration of the telephone network, and in the 1970s, the country implemented a new numbering plan, which standardized the length of telephone numbers to seven digits. The new numbering plan also introduced a "zero" as the first digit of all telephone numbers.
In the 1980s, South Africa introduced the first mobile network, called MTN, which initially used a separate numbering system. In the 1990s, more mobile networks were introduced, and the country adopted a new numbering plan, which increased the length of telephone numbers to ten digits. The first digit of mobile numbers was also standardized to "0."
Technical info on South Africa phone numbers
South Africa phone numbers follow the international format of country code, area code, and local number. The country code for South Africa is +27, and the area code is usually three digits long, depending on the region. For example, Johannesburg's area code is 011, while Cape Town's area code is 021.
When calling a South African phone number from outside the country, you will need to add the +27 prefix to the number, and remove any leading 0 from the area code. For example, if you wanted to call a Johannesburg number from the United States, you would dial +27 11, followed by the local seven-digit number.
South Africa phone numbers are regulated by the Independent Communications Authority of South Africa (ICASA).
- Wasn't the internet supposed to make phone calls more affordable?
- FlyNumber works great if you just launched a start-up and you're on a shoestring budget
- Is your business already off the ground but you'd rather not spend hundreds of dollars a month on phone service?
- We come from a "mom and pop" type background, rooted in the international diversity that is NYC. We understand business.
- Buy multiple international local phone numbers and manage them all from your FlyNumber account
Family and friends
- Stay in touch with family and friends by giving them a phone number "local to them"
- For example you have friends or family in the U.S. but now live elsewhere, you can give them a US FlyNumber that forwards directly to your smartphone
- Great for expats that want to stay in touch with friends and family from their hometown
- Give family members who aren't tech savvy an easy way to reach you no matter where you are
- Grandma or Grandpa would love a simple local phone number they can dial that connects them to their loved ones
Why choose FlyNumber?
- You "own" the South Africa phone number, you can port out if necessary
- No obligations | Cancel anytime | Never any hidden fee's | No contracts
- You're billed based on the phone number, not users or agents
- Detailed call logs that you can export to CSV, we don't retain the logs past a certain point
- Logs include multiple responses - Ok (connected), declined, timeout, internal server error, request terminated and more
- Set a credit card/Paypal for recurring billing or add funds manually to your prepaid balance
Sign Up Now
Use us if you need multiple local numbers: All the countries we cover
* If you use an app (ie VoIP), it's unlimited incoming using this method. This does not include Toll-free , NYC 212/718 or Toronto 416.